Sunday, December 18, 2022

A Success Story from 2022 - Yule Blog Challenge

I read about the MTBoS Yule Blog Challenge on a blog I follow and thought this might be a good way to return to blogging.  The challenge is to blog 12 times during your winter break, and there are prompts to get you started.  I'm starting with

A Success Story from 2022

My success story from 2022 is a pretty big one for me personally - I returned to teaching.  

I took the 2021-22 school year off and wasn't sure if I would return to teaching afterward.  When I started looking at options for this school year, I knew that I was only interested in a part time position.  Unfortunately, the district where I worked for the past 10 years would only let me return full time.  

Then, friends put me in touch with the principal of St. Charles Borromeo School, a K-8 Catholic School which is a 15 minute walk from my house.  (Our younger son went to preschool there.) They were looking for a Spanish teacher and knew I had taught German and had taken some Spanish.  Sadly, I don't know enough Spanish to teach it, but when I said I was also licensed in math and really enjoy supporting struggling students, the idea of my position as math support teacher started to take shape.

I help the middle school math teacher with a 6th grade math class and a 7th grade pre-algebra class.  The middle school is on a block schedule, so I work every other day from 10:30-2:30. I mostly work with students individually or in small groups, and I love it!  It's a wonderful way to return to the classroom and return to math teaching without being overwhelmed.  I'm so happy to be back!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back to teaching and to blogging! I love the idea of being a support teacher!

    ReplyDelete