Friday, December 23, 2022

Start / Stop / Continue in 2023 - Yule Blog Challenge

 


Start / Stop / Continue in 2023 

As a math support teacher, I do less of the initial instruction but work with students more individually or in small groups when they have questions.  I'm happy to report that they have lots of questions, and I love helping them.  

One thing, though, that I want to stop is telling them information that they have in their notes. Instead I need to start prompting them to reference those notes.  

It's so much easier and faster just to answer their question, but it benefits them more in the long run if I help them become more independent in their learning.  Particularly middle schoolers don't automatically think to look back at the notes they took in class if they get stuck while doing their homework.  It seems obvious to us as teachers, but it isn't a habit they've developed yet.  If I can make sure my students learn to do this in middle school, I've planted a seed for their success in high school.

1 comment:

  1. What a great reminder! I wonder if having small post-it's so they can flag those common questions would be helpful?

    ReplyDelete