Thursday, August 13, 2020

Detective Work

 

  Detective work describes what I did today during my prep time.  

On the first day of online classes, nearly all of my students logged in, did at least some of the lesson, and/or contacted me in a live meeting.  I consider that a win!

But...not everyone completed the lesson, which involved submitting a short video saying "My name is _____." in German.

So, my first task was to sort through the missing videos to see whether those students had completed the first item on the agenda.  If not, had they managed to log in to the course at all?

For my first two classes, I had only 4 students who were completely MIA. I sent out emails to them and their families to check in and see if there were any problems with technology or access that I could help with.  I heard back from 2 right away, so now I'm just missing 2 students.  

Students who had logged in but not done their video got a message in our LMS checking to see whether they understood what they needed to do and if they needed help with the technology.  I heard back from several more students after that, so I think my students are off to a good start!

1 comment:

  1. I am glad your first day went well and I love your description of Detective Work. I am nervous that this year will involve a lot of that on top of our other duties. I'm planning to use Flipgrid as a way to help me do introductions but I haven't made it yet to that part to actually getting it done :) Maybe today!

    ReplyDelete